Monday 21 May 2012

Good to bad and back to good

It's amazing how up and down things can go in such short periods of time.  Last weekend was a true up as we did all sorts of awesome family stuff.  Unfortunately Eva's getting sick in the van was an unfortunate little foreshadow of things to come.  By Tuesday the rest of the household had come down with a stomach virus the likes of which I have been fortunate to avoid for as far back as I can remember.  The larger ramifications of this little flu where that I while in its vicious little clutches I couldn't even hold down water.  Even though it was little more than a 48 hr flu, it has essentially meant back to ground zero in more than a few ways.  Luckily, it's not a complete reboot.  Today, 6 days after the flu hit me, was the first day that I have managed to eat the minimum amount I need to eat in a day.  Unfortunately my gut has always been super sensitive, it's the main reason I gave up drinking to excess because the hangovers would last at least a week or more every time.  I was talking with my sister earlier this week and she was saying how it must suck since I've spent so much effort trying to get my weight up, only to hit a wall like this.  The truth is, it just highlights how important it was for me to take the steps I did a few months ago.  I can only imagine where things would be if I was still sitting just north of 130lbs and this flu had hit me.
The other way this has hit me has been that I'm back to step one on the whole exercise thing, breathing hard just to get around the block once or twice and no gym for over a week.  But in truth that's ok too, the reason why is because I have a pretty well tracked plan on how to successfully, but at a reasonable rate, ramp my exercise level back up to where it needs to be.  So, on Thursday evening, after having gone back to work that morning, I coughed myself around the block.  On Friday, I did it twice.  I'm definitely still not 100%, the gut has a ways to go and my lungs a still a little plugged up, but I start Tobi on Wednesday for my four weeks on and that will definitely make the trek back to 100% that little bit easier.
On Sunday though, we loaded up the fam and went to the Vancouver Aquarium.  Definitely the highlight of the week as both girls stared at the giant aquariums filled with amazing fish and sharks and whales.  And also pretty cool that a week that started out so roughly could end on such a high point.  Just shows how quickly things can fall and then come right back up again.
Thanks again to everyone who has supported me in the great strides walk this coming weekend.  The donations have truly left me without words.  If you haven't had a chance to donate yet and still want to it's really easy.  You can do the donation online at my Great Strides page Great Strides™ 2012.  Or if you'd prefer you can contact me with a message and make a donation in cash or with a cheque.

No comments:

Post a Comment