Saturday 18 February 2012

Day 2 - So far so motivated

Well, here's the update for day two.  First off I want to start by thanking everybody for the awesome encouragement I got after my first post the other day.  It's always a bit nerve wracking putting yourself out there for everybody to see, so to have as many people look at as they have and to comment back as they did felt really, really great.

Now onto the news.  Got hooked up to my old familiar friend the CADD Prism Pump.  This means I'll get to be looking like I'm ever so stylish carrying around my man murse.  I may just have to go out and pick up a pair of capris to finish off the outfit just so I can try and say I'm following the latest in European fashion.

On second thought, no.  Capris are out.  I have bony shins and they may get cold a little bit nippy, what with it being winter and all.

Now for a little update on my progress.  In my last blog I talked about wanting to avoid shortcuts.  From the way I can see it daily CF care for me breaks down into three elements:
1) Medications
2) Food and Diet
3) Physical Exercise

So far it's going pretty well, yesterday I managed go for 20 minutes at a pretty good clip on the Stationary Bike and then topped that today with 25 minutes.  Ok so maybe after I finished I felt less like this:
and more like this:
But regardless of how I felt at the end, the key is, I did it.  I got my butt moving and my lungs flowing.

A great blog that I've been using to help get me motivated is Ronnie Sharpe's, a fellow Fibro from Arizona.  He's been throwing down the daily exercise challenge from his hospital in Tucson and I've decided to try and do my best to match him step for step.  His blog by the way is @ runsickboyrun.blogspot.com.

I've also been doing my best with eating for the past week and hitting my meds with 100% accuracy.  Now admittedly, I don't entirely trust my scale upstairs but in theory, since it's digital it should have some semblance of accuracy (geez, could I fit the paranoid weight watcher stereotype any more, yeah ... it's the scale, that's the problem). Anywho, so when I weighed myself last week, I was coming in at 130.5 lbs, last night in the same clothes and at the same time I weighed in at 134.5 lbs.  Now even if the increase is off by 50% I'd still have managed to gain almost a Kilo in a week.  My minimum target goal is to get my weight back to at least 150 lbs.

Now, so far, it's all roses and puppydogs.  Things are going well, but right now I'm motivated.  Admittedly, the early results with the weight gain has me really stoked.  I am tempering my enthusiasm though.  The real test will be a few months from now when I maybe start to slip back into some of the old habits.  That's going to be the purpose of this blog and hopefully the more people that follow and offer encouragement the better it'll go.

Pet peeve of the day - Damn itchy skin under the opsite bandage for my port. OMFG, I just want to itch it so freeking much : ).

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the weight gain man!! Keep it up and remember, you will NEVER regret completing a workout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should just sleep and eat junkfood for the next week, while the girls are visiting us here. Best.Weight-Gain.Plan.Ever.
    And off topic - your girls are making my ears bleed. You must be deaf by now.

    ReplyDelete