Friday 9 March 2012

Day 22 - Freedom from the tubes and thieving is bad.

So first I'll start with the good news.  Yesterday was my last day of walking around all tubed up and carrying my manly man satchel.  My weight has also kept going up, not as much as before, but that's to be expected.  It's now up to 142.5 which means I've gained 12 pounds over the last 4 weeks.  I've added a little weight graph tracker to show my progress towards my ultimate goal on the left there.  I'll be adding a new one showing my lung function's progress once I get my PFT's done on the 21st of March.

Now onto the Sesame Street Lesson of the day for Todd brought to you by PBS.  Last night I went to the gym and took the dog out for exercise.  While I was playing with the dog I hid my wallet, phone and iPod under the seat.  On the way home from that I opened the window a crack for some air.  This morning I realized that I had left all of those things under the seat last night and hadn't rolled the window back up.  I realized this because when I went to my car my glove box was open and its contents were sitting nicely on the passenger seat.  Wallet ... gone, cellphone ... gone and yes, iPod ... gone.  Now the easy road to take would be "Stupid Thieves" and "Thieves Suck" maybe with some more colorful language, but I'm trying to keep it classy here.  The truth though, is that this was my own damn fault.  The last month, I've been focusing hard on my health, doing everything right for it that I can, no missed treatments, no missed workouts, no missed meals.  Very focused ... and perhaps a bit too focused.  The lesson I'm choosing to take from this is, that while its great to focus in on one element of your life, you have to be careful not to miss the rest of the stuff that needs doing. I can be bit of a victim to tunnel vision, focusing to the point of obsession on one thing and letting all else slide.  The key to making my life and my CF Life as good as possible is finding that healthy balance where I'm doing everything I can for myself, but also trying to juggle work, being a father and all the other little minutiae.  It's not an easy task by any means but it is doable, and its just one more thing I'm working towards :).

No comments:

Post a Comment