Sunday 18 March 2012

Day 31 - Birthday goodness

So, it's been a few days since my last update.  And oh it's been busy.  I was doing some time math the other day.  I average about 7-8 hours a night of sleep, I work for 8 hours a day, you add in two hours commuting and an hour for getting ready in the morning, that leaves 5-6 hours.  The first 2 hours after work is with the girls, giving my wife a little bit of a break before their bed time and allowing me to spend some time with them.  Now we're down to 2 or 3 hours for treatments, exercise and maybe a little unwind time.  So, needless to say, days are a little jam packed.  The great news is that after one week of that schedule, I'm still feeling great.  I'm doing a better job of letting my wife know when I need to take time for my health and as always, she's been amazing at picking up the extra slack.  It's always tough for me to step back and say I can't do something, or that I need to step away from my responsibilities as dad and husband.  I always feel guilty that I need to do more around the house, feel like I'm carrying my weight.  I even say this to my wife at times, which is invariably followed by a look of incredulity from her as she cites the above daily routine.
Whats made this week even more crazy is that Today we had the girls FIRST birthday.  It was the greatest scene of disorganized chaos.  The present unwrapping was done in breakneck speed as the girls cousins Madi and Abbie tried to see who could bring the presents to Auntie Carrie the fastest.  And the girls first birthday cake seemed to be a hit as is evidenced below:
Besides the sheer awesomeness of my daughter forgoing the use of hands to simply faceplant into the icing, my favorite part of this picture is in the background.  If you look closely you can see Fiona lurking, just hoping that one of them will pitch some cake her way.  The party was awesome, Carrie's parents got up at 5am in order to make the trek down and arrive on time.  And another thanks to my mom for coming out yesterday and helping us with the preparations.
On top of all this, my goals are still going great.  Despite the increased activity of working and continuing to exercise consistently, my weight managed to go up by another 2.5 lbs this week.  That means I'm now halfway to my ideal weight goal.  Next update will be my first post clinic update.  I'm actually looking forward to this appointment as I can see just how much progress my hard work has brought for my PFTs.  A read  great point on one of the other CF blogs, it doesn't matter what your PFT's are compared to others, its how they do compared to yourself.  6 weeks ago my FEV1 was sitting at 58%, I'm really interested to see where they are now.

No comments:

Post a Comment