Tuesday 13 March 2012

Day 26 - Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's back to work I go.

Decided tonight would be a good point for a one month recap.

Over the last four weeks I've been slowly adding ball after ball to the juggling act.  In week one it was making sure I was 100% compliant with my diet and treatments.  I've been tracking my daily nutritional intake so that I can see if I have an off day, I can know I need to pick up my socks the next day.  I also haven't missed a single treatment in the past four weeks.  All the pills, all the nebs and all my physio.  This may seem like a simple step, an easy win that anybody with what I have should be able to do, but for me I've always struggled with a memory block.  When I was a teenager my doctors and parents worried about why I didn't take my enzymes consistently.  People were convinced it had to be that I was maybe ashamed or trying to hide my condition, or maybe I was just trying to rebel.  It just didn't seem fathomable that I was just plain and simply forgetting to take them.  Looking back I can only imagine how inane it sounded and to this day when I tell people that this was the case they just look at me with incredulity.  Generally it ends in this face

This is actually a look I probably get at least once a week from my wife ... and usually deservedly so.

Anyways, week 2 was the introduction of 5 or 6 days of exercise a week made up of a combination weights and cardio.  I've been managing 3 weight work outs a week where I've been slowly ramping up the intensity as my muscles return from their exile.  I've also been doing three days of walking or running for between 30-40 Minutes and two days on an exercise bike for a similar duration.  So far so good.

Week 3 was the reintroduction of my awesome family.  I missed them like heck for the two weeks they were visiting my wife's family, but having them here does mean I can't be as selfish with my time.  As many people have told me, taking care of myself now will help them in the long run, it's sometimes hard to see the forest for the trees, but I'm doing my best and my wife has been awesome and amazingly supportive picking up the slack.

Now it's week four ... the re-introduction ... of work, dunh dunh dunh.  This is the last ball that needs to fit into the juggling act and so far so good, it's only been two days, but my energy level has been good.  I don't feel like I'm going to pass out at my desk as the day goes on.  Yesterday I took my rest day from exercise, but today I managed both a gym workout and a 30 minute walk/run along with a full day of work.

I know there will be set backs, but so far it's been nothing but positive results.  As for my quest for the sun run, looks like it is officially a go.  I've already hoodwinked my 60+ year old father and my Brother-in-law into joining me in my personal flagellation, but any one else who wants to step up to the challenge are welcome.  My surgery is booked for April 17th, which is two days after the run.  So while they may have to wheel me in because I can't move, but it's on like Donkey Kong.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, you're absolutely nailing it so far and should be VERY proud of yourself. I love following your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much man, it's great knowing I have so much support out there.

      Delete